It is claimed that The Dog & Bull dates from 1431, it could even be older as parts of the old Palace South of Surrey Street date from the 12th century.
Royal permission to grant a market was given 1276 and back then The Dog and Bull was called The Bell, even then the site has always been in the thick of things, standing in the busy market street. The land at the back of the pub was originally the village pound where stray animals were kept- possibly belonging to inmates of the jail that stood in Surrey Street.
Surrey Street was once called Butchers Row, the dominant traders would have kept cattle in the now back garden.
Winner of the 2016 C.A.M.R.A Croydon Pub of the Year